Thursday 12 August 2010

Artistic licence.

Gosh I have had a busy summer.


Firstly I must apologise for not writing sooner but Her Ladyship gave me a leave of absence as I had been commissioned to paint the portrait of one of our Elfin royal family.
Now a commission would normally be most welcome but when it is to paint Prince Grogbot one is faced with a bit of a dilemma.
The Prince is not...how shall I put it...much of an oil painting, therefore how much artistic licence should be used in order to make the painting acceptable to all ?
To that end it took several attempts and numerous working sketches before I dared show him anything.
This is one of the earlier working sketches…




…as you can see I had my work cut out to make him as regal as he would expect.
However with perseverance I succeeded and the finished work now hangs in his private chambers.

I was therefore relieved to get back to the studio…much less stressful pottering about in here helping Her Ladyship…I believe she has just ordered some more oil pastels and we are to do some painting when they arrive…thankfully not a portrait !

2 comments:

  1. You seem a dab hand at this, Dauby! I hope the new painting sessions go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Derrick I believe some seascapes may be in the offing.

    ReplyDelete